SODIUM META SILICATE - AN IMMUNITY BOOSTER
Sodium Meta Silicate, an Isomer of Silicic Acid, is a Clinically Proven Immunity Booster which acts by Dissolving the Disulphide Bond Between the Antigen and the Receptor sites on the surface of T4 Lymphocyte.It Activates the Helper Cells to identify the Invading Organism and send Message to the Brain. Then it mobilises the Natural Killer (NK ) Cells to Combat with and engulf the Foreign body and thus keeps the Body Immune System Intact. It is Known to Increase the CD4 and CD8 Counts. Apart from this Unique Property, Sodium Meta Silicate is also Useful in helping Prevention of Plaque Formation in the Blood Vessels and Strengthening the Tunica Intima. It has a Direct Lipid Lowering Effect, especially on LDL and VLDL.
Sodium Meta Silicate helps in Weight Reduction along with it,s property to reduce LDL and VLDL and Increase HDL Levels, and has proved to be a Useful Adjunct to the Therapy in Obese Persons. It helps Rejuvenate the Body Tissues and provides a Feeling of Well Being. Sodium Phosphate and Ammonium Chloride, the other group of nutritional Supplements, Compliment and Enhance the Immunity Boosting Effects of Sodium Meta Silicate.
News and Views (Dr G M Singh)
1. If someone has the flu or a cold and coughs into his hand, and then he touches a doorknob, how long can those germs live on that doorknob?
Answer: The length of time that cold or flu germs can survive outside the body on an environmental surface, such as a doorknob, varies greatly. But the suspected range is from a few seconds to 48 hours. Flu viruses tend to live longer on surfaces than cold viruses do. Cold and flu viruses live longer on nonporous surfaces such as plastic, metal or wood than they do on porous surfaces such as fabrics, skin or paper.
2. I often experience numbness in my fingers. When this happens, the skin on my hands turns ghostly white. What causes numb fingers?
Answer: This is Raynaud's phenomenon, a condition that causes fingers and toes, to feel numb and change color. These changes usually result from exposure to cold temperatures, such as being outside on a cold day or even holding a glass of ice water. However, white, numb fingers or toes caused by Raynaud's phenomenon also can be triggered by strong emotions or stress.
The exact cause of Raynaud's phenomenon can not always be determined. In such cases, it is referred to as Raynaud's disease. Raynaud's phenomenon can be associated with atherosclerosis, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis and Buerger's disease.
3. A significant proportion of fetal tachycardias recognized before 36 weeks of gestation can be treated successfully by transplacental administration of anti arrhythmic drugs. Fetuses presenting after 36 weeks of gestation can be effectively managed postnatally.
4. A 32 year old man was elbowed in the chest while fighting for a rebound in a recreational basketball game. He fell to the ground and his chest ached from the blow. Four days later he developed more severe chest pressure with dyspnea. His chest wall was tender and his pulse slow, but the remainder of his physical examination was normal. ECG showed sinus bradycardia, first-degree AV block, and occasional isorhythmic AV dissociation, but no ischemic ST/T changes. Cardiac troponin I rose to 1.74 ng/mL (normal <0.50). Coronary angiography, showed spiral dissection of the right coronary artery with extensive thrombus filling the distal portion of the vessel. The case highlights the potential dangers of blunt chest trauma in recreational sports.
Due to reports of severe PTU-related liver failure, the American Thyroid Association and the US Food and Drug Administration have published new recommendations (in preliminary form) for PTU use.
PTU should NOT be prescribed as the first line drug in children or adults. There are three settings where PTU is preferred over MMI
1. Pregnant women during their first trimester (where the risk of methimazole associated birth defects might outweigh the risks of PTU)
2. Patients with life-threatening thyrotoxicosis or thyroid storm (because of PTU's ability to inhibit peripheral conversion of T4 to T3)
3. Patients with adverse reactions to methimazole (other than agranulocytosis) who are not candidates for radioiodine or surgery.
1. Thyroid 2009; 19:673.
2. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:1881.
DHEA for vaginal atrophy
Intravaginal DHEA administration is a novel therapy for postmenopausal women with atrophic vaginitis and sexual dysfunction. In a trial of postmenopausal women with symptomatic vaginal atrophy, 12 weeks of intravaginal DHEA administration corrected signs and symptoms of atrophy, and, when compared to placebo, appeared to improve some measures of sexual function. No significant increases in serum DHEA or estrogen concentrations were seen. This agent is not commercially available at present. [Menopause 2009; 16:907]
Santa enters a store that sells curtains.
He tells the salesman, I would like to buy a pair of pink curtains.
The salesman assured him that they had a large selection of pink curtains. He showed him several patterns, but Santa seemed to be having a hard time choosing.
Finally, he selects a lovely pink floral print.
The salesman asked what size curtains he needed.
Santa replies, Fifteen inches.
Fifteen inches? asked the salesman.
That sounds very small, what room are they for?
Santa tells him that they aren't for a room, they are for his computer monitor.
The surprised salesman replies, But, sir, computers do not have curtains!
Santa says, Hellllooooooooo.......I have got Windows!
Dr Good Dr Bad
Situation: A patient with renal stone had high serum and urinary uric acid. Urinary pH was 6.4.
Dr Bad: You have urate renal stones.
Dr Good: It may not be related to uric acid.
Lesson: If the urine pH is 6 or higher, the high urine uric acid may not be playing a role, as it will stay in solution.
Take home messages from the Medicine Update 2009, MAMC
Surviving in the electronic edge: (Dr Koushik Dutta and Dr N P Singh)
1.Even doctors need to become more gazette savvy. A whole range of tools and softwares are available to keep patient records, do special calculations and take up the clerical job for you.
2.When all information in available in the net and in downloadable e books, whatis the need to mug up all the mundane information. Letís save ourselves from information overload syndrome. Take a break and revisit wisdom.